A great art journal page doesn’t have to be overly complicated. Sometimes the best pages remind us that less is more when it comes to mixed-media collage. A few pieces of printed paper, silver stitching, and a few embellishments come together to give a quote by George Moore a beautiful backdrop.
- Printed card stock
- black card stock
- key (charm or the real thing!)
- 2 charms w/ attachment loops or holes
- postage stamp
- brown ink pad
- silver wire
- silver thread
- sewing needle
- double-stick tape
- standard tape
- glue dots
- paper piercer
Layer 1: Foundation
- Measure and cut a square out of black card stock that is slightly smaller than the paper bag journal page.
Layer 2: Pattern Background
- Measure and cut a square out of patterned card stock that is slightly smaller than Layer 1. Attach to Layer 1 with double-stick tape.
- Measure and cut a rectangle from a second sheet of patterned card stock that fits from top to bottom and is about two inches wide. Attach to Layer 2 using double-stick tape.
Layer 3: Quote Tag
- The tag I used for this page came from the office supply aisle at Target! Crumple it up repeatedly until it feels “soft,” like cloth. Then, take a brown ink pad (translucent ink if you can find it) and lightly drag the tag over the ink to make the texture pop and to give it a nice weathered look.
- Pencil in the quote and then go over it with a marker.
- Attach to the left side of the page, with a couple pieces of double-stick tape in the middle of the tag. Let the edges be “free” to add a little dimension.
Layer 4: Stitching
- Draw a free hand spiral or use a stencil. Use a paper piercer to poke holes along the the spiral that are spaced with a distance about the size of a standard stitch. See Project Art Journal: Page 2 for a refresher on stitching instructions.
Layer 5: Embellishments
- Loop some string through the hole of the tag and string a charm at the same time. Secure the string, but make sure the charm lays flat. Don’t trim the string just yet!
- Attach metal key with glue dots in the upper right corner, horizontally. Tie the tails of the tag string to the end of the key with a loose knot. Now you can trim the ends or leave them long!
- Attach the postage stamp near the lower right corner with double-stick tape. Fluff the edges to give it some personality.
- Place the second charm so that it overlaps the postage stamp. Use a paper piercer to poke holes through the attachment loops. Thread some wire through each hole to secure the charm. Secure the wire ends by taping them down to the back with standard tape.
Attach the finished page to the paper bag journal page with plenty of double-stick tape.
Simple, yet beautiful! Stay inspired!
– – –
For previous Project Art Journal pages, please visit my sidebar or search for Project Art Journal. All pages are also posted on my Pinterest Project Art Journal Board. Click on the red Pinterest button on my sidebar to check it out.
– – –