Charles Bridge has connected one side of Prague to the other for about 600 years. Even though several bridges now cross the Vltava River, this stretch of history is by far the most ornate and lively of the bunch.
According to historical legend, Charles IV laid the first stone himself thus beginning a five decade journey of bridge building. Originally called the Stone Bridge, it was the only means of crossing the Vltava River until 1841.
The Old Town Bridge Tower offers an astonishing entrance to Charles Bridge. If Charles IV meant to shock and awe all those who entered his realm, he achieved his goal!
Along this tribute to gothic and baroque architecture are more than thirty statues. Most were erected in the 1700s, but have since been replaced with replicas. The bridge may be sturdy, but the artwork, clearly is not!
The view of The Old Quarter and surrounding and environs makes the bridge a popular destination for locals and tourists alike. During the day, Charles Bridge is lined with artisans, musicians, and painters.
Crowds can make traversing the bridge difficult, but by evening it’s a smooth stroll with a magnificent view of Prague Castle.
– – –
Part of the A to Z Challenge!
– – –